05 March, 2008

Knitting Lamp

I had entertained the idea of purchasing a Full Color Spectrum - Daylight craft lamp (OTT-Lite for example), to use while knitting as my household lighting is more on the decorative side and less on the practical side.

I had a few reservations about this idea however...

  • Cost - most major brands are quite costly

  • Style - Some are just plain ugly, OTT-Lite makes some attractive models but... (see above entry)

  • Availability - I have no place in my area to purchase one in person, therefore not only would I be buying a $200 lamp but I would be paying to ship the thing as well

  • Replacement Bulbs - some of said lamps cost up to $30 just to replace a bulb (though bulb changes are said to be infrequent), not to mention shipping charges as availability is yet again an issue.

Well, as is my usual way; I improvised. I browsed the light bulb selection at my local Wal-Mart and found that GE makes an Energy Smart Daylight bulb. I figured if this didn't work out I would just put them to use somewhere in the house. I found them to be just the solution I was looking for for several reasons...

  • Color Clarity - the bulbs stood up to the test against swatches, yarns, color charts, embroidery floss, really anything I could find that illustrated subtle color variation
  • Cost - Don't quote me on it but I'm pretty sure I paid under $10 for a two pack

  • Availability - if they have them in my town they surely have them in yours too. This also solves the replacement bulb problem with other craft lamps. Not to mention you can use them in any standard lighting fixture, no need to purchase a special lamp.

All in all I am totally pleased with these bulbs as a knitting lamp. They give clean, bright light and allow me to see true colors while working. They are compact fluorescent bulbs which are available in several wattages so they can also save money on your power bill.

In closing I should state that this tip is not to suggest that the aforementioned GE bulbs are equal to OTT-Lite or similar craft lamps. I have not used another brand of craft lamp, so I really couldn't ascertain similarities in their performance. I have however found this to be a personally suitable solution and the best light by which I have knitted. I merely offer this as a suggestion for persons such as myself who find the price and availability of such lamps prohibitive.

1 comment:

Keila Raquel said...

Great idea! Your information is very helpful.I am going to my local Wal-Mart, ASDA in the UK.Happy Knitting!
Many thanks to you!

My Favorite NPR Spot: The Writer's Almanac