09 January, 2008

How I Knit

Currently I knit using the Continental method. I originally learned to knit using the English method and for some reason, nothing I was doing was terribly clear to me. I don't know why I had such a mental block with the English method but I wasn't even sure if I was really purling, or knitting for that matter. For all I knew I might have invented some combination of loops that produced a fabric similar to knitting.
The switch to Continental knitting was a lark, I didn't think it was a superior method, I'm not left handed, I've never crocheted a stitch in my life, I just thought I'd give it a go and see if I liked it better. And yes, Continental knitting personally suits me much better; I can see what I am knitting, I knit with a more even tension, I knit with certainty as to what I am doing and I no longer feel the need to hold my needles with the dreaded "death grip".
I suppose I brought this tidbit up for sake of conversation, but there is a point... I would suggest that any new knitter try both English and Continental knitting. I suppose some may find that they have little to no preference between the two, but there is also the chance that some may find the "other method" is how they should have been knitting all along. I also suppose that learning both methods would have it's merits.
If any fellow new knitters are interested in more information regarding the aforementioned methods of knitting, Wikipedia has articles on both Continental and English knitting, and KnittingHelp.com has some fantastic videos in both methods as well.

No comments:

My Favorite NPR Spot: The Writer's Almanac