13 January, 2008

Yarn Review: Lion Brand Jiffy

Disclaimer: I know fiber-snobs are probably scoffing at the fact that the first review on this blog would be Lion Brand Jiffy. At least they'll be pleased to know that it wasn't a pleasant experience. I chose this because I was looking to pick up a cheap skein of whatever that didn't feel too horrible for making some practice swatches. Also, I don't have a local yarn shop since the only thing that can survive the void in which I live is Wal Mart. As this blog is meant to cover all the aspects of what I am currently doing, (I have purchased much better fibers for finished works), I thought I'd be fair and give equal time to the best and worst of my experience.

The Facts

  • Brand: Lion Brand
  • Style: Jiffy
  • Color: Grass Green
  • Material: 100% Acrylic
  • Weight: Bulky

My Take

I did not like working with this yarn at all. First off, I chose this one from the isle of plastic yarns at Wal Mart because it seemed to have the least offensive texture. They had Lion Brand Homespun (which I *gasp* think is rather nice for a 100% Acrylic yarn), but I wanted something smoother for practice since Lion Brand Homespun is not so hot in the stitch definition category. I didn't notice that Jiffy is actually considered a Bulky Weight yarn, and looking at it now it does not seem terribly different from a Worsted Weight. I also didn't notice that this yarn is described as having the look of mohair (how soon would I find out). As I cast on, the yarn already began to "bloom", leaving my with a faux-mo mess. I persisted and made up my fuzzy swatches. The yarn was a pain to work as splitting was a consistant problem on sharp needles and more gently tapered needles. Over all, I felt that everything about working with Lion Brand Jiffy was sloppy and I would not use it for a project (or even for practice again).

Pros

  • Large range of solid and multi-colors
  • Soft feel (though not as soft as mohair)
  • Reasonably looks like mohair (though I don't think it would fool many)
  • Widely Available
  • Inexpensive

Cons

  • Splits and snags easily
  • Yarn "blooms" quickly and distorts stitches
  • Yarn also sheds rather easily

Will I Purchase it Again? No.

2 comments:

Tallguy said...

Oh, thank heavens, you came to your senses! And there's another knitter that has seen the light!

Terry said...

Believe me, it didn't take long for that realization. I'm technically a fiber snob myself even before I started knitting. My clothes from my early teens on up had to be just right in terms of materials. I think I even tried convincing my parents that I was allergic to synthetic fibers at one venture of my life. When I started knitting I didn't know that there were companies like KnitPicks and Patternworks that offered good fibers for low prices. I thought for sure I was going to be stuck in acrylic yarn forever (despite my aversion).

My Favorite NPR Spot: The Writer's Almanac